It was a long time ago that I carved this block to print an all over design on fabric. Since then sewing projects took over my studio and left me no room to print. Last week Barry had Veteran’s Day off and he helped me dig out of the mess and organize it– which left me with a clear drafting table and room to print fabric!
Add to that Pillow Week hosted over at House on Hill Road and I had a perfect use for my handprinted fabric. Even though I didn’t get this photographed and blogged during Pillow Challenge Week, I did get it made. That counts, right? You should check out Erin’s pillow posts— there’s lots of information on closures and stuffing, and lovely pillows to look at.
I printed on plain linen and am pretty happy with how it turned out. My pattern matched up!
I’m wondering if I need to add something to my ink so it’s not quite so sticky next time and soaks into the fabric a little. This went really fast, though. I went from cutting and ironing my fabric to cleaning up my ink mess in less than an hour– printing 1/2 yard of fabric.
I also made a simple striped stamp and printed a long 1/4 yd. of fabric, then cut it into triangles to make the other side. There’s an invisible zipper in the bottom seam, so the pillow is totally reversible.
I’m excited that my all over pattern repeated so well! It’s fun when experiments work out.