So, if you’ve read my blog for any amount of time you’ve probably noticed that often when I show you a finished project I say something like, “I’ve been making this in my mind for a long, long time,” or “I’ve been dreaming this up for a couple of years,” or something like that.
Well, this is no exception.
We were living in a tiny apartment in Alabama in the beginning of our summer of transition to Denver when a good friend sent me this link with exclamation points and excitement that I HAD to make one– it made her think of me. And I completely agreed that I NEEDED one somewhere in my new house, whenever it would be that I got settled. Since we’ve been here (for 2 1/2 years) I’ve been imagining those little birds in corners and bedrooms and had settled on just the place– a corner of the front room above the love seat that needed a little color.
But now that it’s made it is a little big and I’m afraid it would swing into the blinds or the bookshelf and be too much of a temptation for the climbing 2 year old to bat at. At the moment it is hanging in the doorway between the front room and my art room, but I’m thinking today I’ll put up a hook over my drafting table and let the birdies live there.
I’ve been on a bit of a spring-cleaning/ redecorating kick lately with a long mental list of things I want to do around the house and this was one of those things on the list. In a burst of spontaneity the other morning Jonah and I went through my scrap bin with bird pattern in hand and found pieces that were the right size, cut them out, matched them up, and whipped up some birds. That went really fast– especially with his help stuffing them. With all that built up momentum I gathered some sticks at the park the next day and started sewing birds to branches– only to have them hang upside down like bats. I discovered I needed to put some weight in the bottom of the birds so they weren’t top heavy and to use screw eyes to secure string to the branches so they wouldn’t twist. I dedicated the next day to ripping out tail seams and spooning in rice, then attempting to hang and balance it all again– to no avail.
Finally, when Barry had a free night we tried it all again. We found a few helpful things:
-Attach the birds to the branch with wire instead of sewing them on so they are easy to reposition.
-Thicker branches twist and roll less than skinny ones.
-We ended up using thin picture wire instead of invisible thread to hang the branches because it was more stable.
-Once we found the perfect bird positions we squeezed a little hot glue in to keep them there.
So, now it’s done and so fun to look at! When my art room is all decluttered and organized I’ll need some photo documentation, so I’ll show you its permanent home then.